Chelsea transfer news: N’Golo Kante has been linked with a move to Barcelona and the midfielder has previously spoken out about his future plans with his contract at Stamford Bridge coming to an end
Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante has been linked with a move to Barcelona once his contract expires next summer.
The defensive midfielder has had a frustrating season for the Blues, featuring in just two Premier League games due to injury. The former Leicester City man suffered a further setback ahead of Chelsea’s Champions League clash with AC Milan on Tuesday night and will miss the match at the San Siro.
“Hakim is ill, N’Golo we’re just waiting,” Graham Potter said in the pre-match press conference. “He had a reaction in training, so we’re just waiting for the news on that. Hakim has a sore throat, that’s why he didn’t travel.
“It’s not ideal [Kante’s issue] and disappointing for him and for us, so we have to wait and see the extent of it and then go from there.”
Despite his troubles, Kante is a key player for the Blues and Potter will be hoping he returns sooner rather than later. However, doubts remain over his future and the Frenchman has been linked with an exit from Stamford Bridge in recent months. Kante’s contract expires next summer and an extension has not yet been agreed.
Now, according to ElChiringuitoEnFOX, Barcelona boss Xavi is an admirer of Kante and the Catalan giants may make a move for the midfielder in the coming months. With Jorginho’s contract also expiring next summer, Todd Boehly has a number of important decisions to make between now and the summer transfer window.
Kante has been quizzed on his future in the past, and spoke about it earlier this year. The Frenchman told Sky Sports: “Yes, since I came here I’ve spent many great seasons, with the team, the managers and the fans.
“I hope we can carry on like this, keep winning, and that’s the way I see the future.”