FIFA have confirmed tha four Chelsea figures have made nominations for men’s The Best FIFA Football Awards, including two in the 11-man shortlist for the biggest prize.
The football governing body has announced the shortlists for players’, goalkeepers’, and coaches’ prizes on Monday. Jorginho and N’Golo Kante, who are also among the Ballon d’Or final nominees, are unsurprisingly shortlisted for The Best FIFA Men’s Player award.
The Best FIFA Men’s Player award full shortlist:
- Karim Benzema (France / Real Madrid CF)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City FC)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus FC / Manchester United FC)
- Erling Haaland (Norway / BV Borussia 09 Dortmund)
- Jorginho (Italy / Chelsea FC)
- N’Golo Kanté (France / Chelsea FC)
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland / FC Bayern München)
- Kylian Mbappé (France / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Neymar (Brazil / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Liverpool FC)
According to FIFA, two expert panels — one for women’s football and one for men’s football — selected the candidates for each category.
The midfield pair have played significant roles in Chelsea’s success under Thomas Tuchel in the last year, including in the Champions League-winning campaign last season.
Another Chelsea player who has arguably earned a place among the world’s elites, Edouard Mendy, is also nominated for The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper award.
The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper award shortlist:
- Alisson Becker (Brazil / Liverpool FC)
- Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy / AC Milan / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Édouard Mendy (Senegal / Chelsea FC)
- Manuel Neuer (Germany / FC Bayern München)
- Kasper Schmeichel (Denmark / Leicester City FC)
Meanwhile, Tuchel is deservedly one of the seven managers in the shortlist for The Best FIFA Men’s Coach.
The Best FIFA Men’s Coach shortlist:
- Antonio Conte (Italy / FC Internazionale Milano / Tottenham Hotspur FC)
- Hansi Flick (Germany / FC Bayern München / German national team)
- Pep Guardiola (Spain / Manchester City FC)
- Roberto Mancini (Italy / Italian national team)
- Lionel Sebastián Scaloni (Argentina / Argentinian national team)
- Diego Simeone (Argentina / Atlético de Madrid)
- Thomas Tuchel (Germany / Chelsea FC)
FIFA also added that the award winners will be revealed at an online ceremony on 17 January 2022.
Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram