- Chelsea swept aside Sevilla in their Champions League game on Wednesday
- Olivier Giroud scored all four of Chelsea’s goal in their emphatic 4-0 win
- It is the Blues’ fourth win in a row in this term’s Champions League campaign
- The last time Chelsea won four games in a row in the competition came in 2012
- While his side are creating comparisons, Lampard does not want to tempt fate
Frank Lampard does not want to tempt fate after Chelsea matched an achievement of the club’s Champions League winners with a 4-0 thrashing of Sevilla on Wednesday.
The victory was the Blues’ fourth in a row in this term’s Champions League.
The last time Chelsea won four on the trot in the competition was 2012 – the year that they lifted the trophy with Lampard a player.
Asked if he knew that statistic, Lampard said: ‘No, I wasn’t aware of that. I do like superstitions but I also don’t like tempting fate.
‘Listen, I am pleased with where we are at. The levels go up in the next stage and I am thankful that we have qualified for it and topped the group at this early stage.
‘It is great for the confidence but the levels will go up, competition goes up, we found that last year.
‘We are in a different place and we are improving, I feel that.’
Chelsea are bedding in after their £220million summer rebuild, now boasting a 15-match unbeaten run in all competitions after Olivier Giroud’s stunning four-goal haul in Spain.