Mourinho creates UEFA club competition record following the Europa Conference League success with AS Roma.
“WE MADE HISTORY’ –Jose Mourinho after winning the Conference league title with AS Roma.
The Europa Conference League was added to UEFA’s plan and classification in 2021-22, with European football’s governing body desire to extend opportunities to grace a continental stage to as many teams as possible.
It was Nicolo Zaniolo’s 32nd-minute goal — it was enough for Roma to be crowned champions in the inaugural season of the Europa Conference League.
However, while Mourinho made history as the only coach to ever win all three of the major UEFA men’s club competitions — Roma on the other hand, achieved its first ever European glory.
“The Special One” led AS Roma to win the inaugural UEFA Europa Conference League title on Wednesday — his first trophy since the 2017 Europa League triumph with Manchester United.
Mourinho became the first coach in history to win all three UEFA club competition trophies.
FC Porto and Manchester United
FC Porto and Inter Milan
UEFA Europa Conference League:
- For 45 years Inter Milan were without the Champions League — José Mourinho came and won it with Inter.
- For 50 years Chelsea FC was without the Premier League — José Mourinho came and won it with Chelsea.
- For 22 years Real Madrid were without the Copa del Rey — José Mourinho came and won it with Madrid.
- For 9 years Manchester United haven’t won a European Cup — José Mourinho came and won the Europa League with the Red Devils.
- AS Roma, in its history had never won a European Cup –José Mourinho came and won the Conference League with Roma.
The Portuguese tactician became the First manager in history to win a European trophy with 4 different clubs — the first in history to win all European Cups. Five wins in five European finals.
As the Europa Conference League winners — the success guarantees Roma’s qualification for the Europa League competition next season.